The following is Northgate’s instructional plan in the event that the district has to close due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
The first day we have to close in any given school year, we will have a traditional “snow day.” Schools will be closed for in-person activities and instruction.
If we have to close for additional days in the same school year we will utilize Flexible Instruction Days (FID). A Flexible Instructional Day is a Pennsylvania Department of Education program that allows public schools to continue to deliver instruction as part of the 180-day school calendar, even if a circumstance arises that prevents delivery of instruction in the customary manner. A FID program may be online, offline, or a combination of the two.
Below you will find information about the process for FID in our district.
Elementary Flexible Instruction:
● All students will have two days of instructional materials kept at home in the event that technology is unavailable. Teachers will provide students with packets that should remain either at home or in backpacks.
● When possible, students will be sent home with technology, iPads or Chromebooks, in anticipation of a FID day.
● All students will have access and directions to one of our online learning platforms, SeeSaw or Google Classroom, depending upon the grade level.
● A Google Meet link for live instruction will be available on the online platform in the event of a FID day announcement. Students should check their online learning platform by 8:15 for information about live and asynchronous assignments.
● Four hours of live instruction will be provided by the classroom teachers during a FID day. Even if we are unable to send technology home with all students, it is important that this instruction be provided to students who are able to use a device at home. Students who are not able to access the live instruction will still have access to pencil and paper assignments that will meet the learning standards and count equally toward the class grade.
● Attendance will be taken by the homeroom teacher when students log in at 8:15. In the event that a student is not able to log on due to lack of technology or internet access, attendance will be taken through completion of the assigned work packets along with a note from the parent that the student did not have access to technology.
Secondary Flexible Instruction:
● Students should always take their school issued laptops home with them at the end of each school day, so that they have access to a laptop at home.
● Attendance will be taken by the homeroom teacher when students log in at 8:25. In the event that a student is not able to log on due to lack of technology or internet access, attendance will be taken through completion of the assigned work along with a note from the parent that the student did not have access to technology.
● Students should check their Northgate email and Google Classroom for directions and assignments from their teachers.
● Students should follow their daily schedule and attend any meetings and complete any work assigned by their teachers through email or Google Classroom.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to your student’s teacher or principal.